Monday, June 25, 2012

Hats off, Holly!

The winners have been announced in the 3QD blog contest!  Please join us in congratulating Holly for taking 3rd place!!
1. Top Quark: Aatish Bhatia, The crayola-fication of the world: How we gave colors names, and it messed with our brains 
2. Strange Quark: Cosma Shalizi, In Soviet Union, Optimization Problem Solves You 
3. Charm Quark: Holly Dunsworth, Forget bipedalism. What about babyish?


Holly's winning post was just one of many she's done here, and indeed deserving.  Hats off, Holly!  We are so very glad you have been so vital to making MT a successful, thoughtful place for thoughts to be expressed about life and its evolution, and the scientific challenge to understand it.  You did yet another great job and we hope this won't spoil you so that  you don't leave us for greener pastures!

And, congratulations to the first and second prize winners as well!  Brilliant posts, all!

6 comments:

James Goetz said...

Congratulations Holly : -)

Ellen said...

Wow, congratulations!

edward hessler said...

I remember reading your essay, Dr. Dunsworth, for the first time and then later kicking myself for not at least saying thanks. Is late better than never? I hope so. At least I can add my congratulations on time. I was really pleased.

I recall you said something about scientists arguing over data in your essay. It reminded me of a line from a favorite book, an elementary methods text written by the late (and remarkable in every way) Mary Budd Rowe. In "Teaching Science as Continuous Inquiry she wrote (p. 87): "Science is, after all, a very social, but not necessarily sociable kind of enterprise. Controversy has the effect of improving the quality of research, if not the disposition of the researcher."

I also loved the joy you find in your work as well as helping me think about things I seldom think about it. I hope it contributes to making me a more critical consumer.

Cheers.

Dawn said...

Awesome!

Geoffrey Vasile said...

Congrats Holly!

Holly Dunsworth said...

Didn't know they made cherries for putting on top of cherries. Thanks everyone!