There are only three posts left in my (ninth) journey through Sapiens. This is the first of those final three.
I started with so much to say just about one page at a time! Along the way I began lumping pages together, to the point where I was posting about whole chapters. And today, I'm lumping Chapters 6 (Building Pyramids) and 7 (Memory Overload) together.
Why all this lumping? Well, you could say that, at this point, so many pages feel so similar that they no longer seem like distinct entities. If they were fossils, then I'd lump them into the same species. And at some point there's only so much you can say about one species.
(wiiiiiink)
You could also say, especially if you too have read Sapiens, that at some point, while you maintain the urge to graffiti the margins, you eventually lose the will to engage beyond that.
Like, every time I've read Chapter 6 I swear I'm going to talk to someone, anyone, about Harari's treatment of the Declaration of Independence, but I never have. We never had time for that in class, as our focus was on prehistory and evolutionary biology broadly, and I never discussed this book with anyone outside of class. And today, I'm still not going to do it. At this point, it's just exhausting, thinking you need to respond or simply react to every unexamined assumption, whim, or intentional rhetorical device (hard to tell them apart) and that includes the ones you might agree with or concede!
The Declaration of Independence bit, however, is not like that. It's just irritating. But it seems like it's supposed to be? A commenter on a previous post described Harari as a troll. This is one of those times it feels like maybe he is.
Regardless, the Declaration of Independence bit seems to misunderstand, misrepresent, or completely ignore what "all men are created equal" is supposed to mean in that document. It means, I think (sorry but I spent some formidable years in Canada and didn't sit through all the same stuff American kids did), but it means, I think, UNDER THE LAW.
The document is a legal one, first and foremost, and so it is describing what the law can circumscribe and that people can, possibly, enact and enforce. It is not, first and foremost, an ethos or philosophy about human nature, per se! Though it obviously has been interpreted as such and we can assume those things are baked into it. People wrote it, after all.
Still, it's meant to describe the law, not actual humanity. And maybe I'm misreading. Maybe the Declaration of Independence's assertion of equality is just a springboard for the opportunity to ponder how evolution's truth includes that everyone is unique and that therefore no one is equal to anyone. And so, Holy shit... (bong riiiiiiiiip)... Would we or could we even write the Declaration of Independence today, given that we know evolution is true???
(That right there, by the way, is a gateway for lefties and righties, alike, to join hands and sing the inconvenient truths of racism and sexism, and to rationalize eugenics together.)
But this bit doesn't read like stream of consciousness. It reads like he's plotting to pit science vs. the law in order to really hammer home the enormity of imagined orders, when, in this instance, there doesn't need to be a conflict. That is, there doesn't need to be a conflict if one considers the difference between science and law. But if Harari doesn't see that science, too, is an imagined order, like law, then I'm not sure I'd enjoy it if he took this bit any further.
Right. Imagined orders. These chapters bring the fictions of prior chapters to a whole new level, at least in size and power. Imagined orders are such tremendous fictions that Harari describes them as traps (like agriculture) and prisons.
On. page 110 he writes that, "Imagined orders are not evil conspiracies or useless mirages." Okay good. Culture, myth, etc. ... these are not evil conspiracies or useless mirages. They build up and evolve (so to speak) over time and are very real in the sense that they impact us, and we them, over that time.
"Rather," he continues, "they are the only way large numbers of humans can cooperate effectively." As usual, here is a claim with no acknowledgment that it's untestable or unverifiable. I presume we're supposed to agree with this claim and not even see it that way, but see it as matter-of-fact, based on the assumptions in many prior pages of the book noted on in prior posts and, here, starting on page 100...

And that's the feeling of the entire chapter (and the next one) if a reader is not there already. The nihilism. So, by the time you read about how nothing is objectively good, which may be true and may be a valuable and even rewarding intellectual issue (I certainly think it is), it doesn't land neutrally. Here, it's kind of landing like a blow or, at least, like it's nudging you to roll over and just give up because nothing's true. I don't want to put that on Harari because I doubt he wants people to believe that or enact that belief, given his thoughts on vegetarianism in prior chapters and race and sexuality in the next. But, again, I'm thinking of the recent commenter who said he's a troll.




No comments:
Post a Comment